Facet Injections Clearwater
Providing Relief from Joint Inflammation
The goal of Facet Injections is to diagnose the cause and location of pain and to provide relief from joint inflammation.
Facet joint injection is used as a diagnostic and therapeutic tool to confirm that facet syndrome is the source of your pain. These procedures provide an effective treatment regimen that affords substantial, sustained pain relief. It is commonly used for the relief of spinal axial pain.
Facet Joint Injections Offer Pain Relief
Facet joint injections usually have two goals: to help diagnose the cause and location of pain and also to provide pain relief.
- Diagnostic goals: By placing numbing medicine into the facet joint, the amount of immediate pain relief experienced by the patient will determine if the facet joint is a source of pain. If complete pain relief is achieved while the facet joint is numb, it means that joint is likely a source of pain. If the facet joint is diagnosed as the pain generator, further treatment such as facet ablation can be a very successful form of treatment.
- Pain relief: Along with the numbing medication, a facet joint injection also includes injecting steroid (cortisone) into the facet joint to reduce inflammation, which can provide longer-term pain relief. The pain relief from a facet joint injection helps a patient regain their functional activities and better tolerate rehabilitation programs for their injury or back condition.
The Facet Joint Injection Procedure
A cervical, thoracic or lumbar facet joint injection involves injecting a small amount of local anesthetic (numbing agent) and/or steroid medication, which can anesthetize the facet joints and block the pain.
Facet joint injections are done using fluoroscopy for guidance to target and place the needle accurately for effective treatment. A facet joint injection is a simple procedure performed in our on-site ASC.
Immediately following the procedure, you may have a tender back or neck for one to two days. It’s recommended that you take it easy the day of the procedure, but return cautiously to your usual activities the following day. The pain relief benefits from facet joint injections typically begin on the second to third day.
Benefits of Facet Injections
Facet joint injections offer several benefits in managing pain associated with facet joint syndrome or other spinal conditions, including:
- Pain Relief: Facet joint injections can provide significant pain relief by reducing inflammation and alleviating discomfort stemming from facet joint-related issues.
- Diagnostic Value: These injections can serve a dual purpose by not only providing pain relief but also helping healthcare providers identify the specific source of the pain through the response to the injection, aiding in accurate diagnosis and subsequent treatment planning.
- Improved Mobility: By reducing pain and inflammation in the facet joints, these injections can improve mobility and function, allowing patients to engage more comfortably in physical therapy and rehabilitative exercises.
- Minimally Invasive: The procedure is minimally invasive, involving a simple injection, and can often be performed on an outpatient basis, leading to a quicker recovery compared to more invasive surgical interventions.
- Potential for Long-Term Pain Management: For some individuals, facet joint injections can offer long-term pain management, reducing the need for frequent or continuous use of pain medications and improving overall quality of life.
It is essential to consult with our Clearwater orthopedic doctors to determine if facet joint injections are suitable for your specific condition and pain management needs.
Minimal Wait TimeYou shouldn't have to wait a profound amount of time to see a physician we'll get you in, in two weeks or less.
Education Is KeyWe believe in educating our patients so they feel empowered when making decisions about their care.
4 Convenient LocationsWe are easily accessible with 4 locations that are able to provide the same quality of care.
Multi-Specialty PracticeWe pride ourselves on providing our patients with care from physicians who specialize in their needs.
Tips for Relieving Joint Pain: Exercises and Stretches
Living with joint pain can be both physically and emotionally challenging. Whether you're dealing with arthritis, an ...Read More
Common Triggers for Wrist Pain
Wrist pain can be a nagging and disruptive issue that affects your daily life, from simple tasks like typing on a ...Read More
When is Joint Replacement Necessary?
Joint pain can significantly impact one's quality of life, leading to limited mobility and chronic discomfort. While ...Read More
Gentle Summer Activities to Limit Back Pain
Summer is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the great outdoors, but it can be a season of discomfort and limitation ...Read More