Clearwater Knee Ligament Reconstruction Surgery
Treatment for Torn Ligaments
Knee Ligament Reconstruction Clearwater is a procedure to replace the ruptured ligaments in the knee. Ligaments are tough bands of tissue that connect the bones in your body. This procedure could be for one or more of a patient’s ligaments including:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL)
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL)
- Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL)
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL)
The torn or badly damaged ligament is replaced with a graft. The most common grafts are autografts using parts of the patient’s body, such as the tendon of the kneecap (patellar tendon) or one of the hamstring tendons. Another choice is allograft tissue, which is taken from a deceased donor.
What Are The Symptoms of a Torn Ligament?
Torn Ligaments in the knee are one of the most common knee injuries. While imagining is needed to confirm the injury, some symptoms of a torn knee ligament are:
- Severe Pain, often sudden
- Inability to put weight on the knee without experiencing pain
- A loud snap or pop during injury
- Limited motion or movement
- Instability or a feeling of looseness at the joint
If you have experienced these symptoms and believe you have torn a ligament, contact Comprehensive Spine Institute today. We perform comprehensive assessments using imaging tech such as x-ray, MRI, and CT scanning to find the source of knee pain.
What Causes a Torn Knee Ligament?
A torn knee ligament can be caused by a number of different things and is either weakened and torn over time or done in one instantaneous injury.
Some common causes of ligament tears include:
- Sudden force or hit on the knee
- Twisting the knee with a foot planted
- Landing on a flexed knee
- Extending the knee too far
- Making sudden stops or shifts while running
When treating your torn ligament, our orthopedists will provide you with education and techniques that can help you prevent a recurring injury. We aim to not only treat your injury but also strengthen the knee so that you can resume your normal activities without fear.
For more information about torn ligaments and knee reconstruction in Clearwater, call (727) 300-2537 today.